Hippos (Sussita)

The city of Hippos (Sussita) was the central city of the Golan during the Hellenistic and Roman/Byzantine periods. It is located on a diamond (or horse) shaped mountain which rises 350M (1148 feet) above the Sea of Galilee. Recent excavations revealed the impressive plan and structures of the city. During the Byzantine period there were eight churches, indicating its importance for Christians. The city was devastated by a massive earthquake in 749 AD which left it in ruins since then.
According to the 4th C Talmud Yerushalmi (Shvi'it 6), Sussita was the land Tov ("good") where the judge Yiphtach lived at the 12th C BC (Judges 11 3): "Then Jephthah fled from his brethren, and dwelt in the land of Tob: and there were gathered vain men to Jephthah, and went out with him".
A Biblical city was located on the shores of present Ein-Gev, below the mountain of Hippos, in a 30 Dunam (3 Hectares) hill called Tel Ein-Gev. It was established in the 10C BC as a fortified Israelite city, had a fishing port, and protected the mountain passage which used the narrow valley north of Hippos as one of the trade roads up to the Golan.
The city was an important Christian center during the Byzantine period, and was a episcopate - the seat of the Bishop - starting at 359 AD. The majority of its citizens were Christian, and the existence of eight churches indicates the city's importance.